Hearty Veggie Tortellini Soup Recipe

Hey Hey Everyone!

I have been sick for the longest! Ugh. Well 7 days to be exact, so I decided to make some soup! I found the recipe in a Southern Living magazine. It had ground turkey in it and since my husband and I do not eat meat I just took it out and replaced it with chickpeas. This soup is bomb!!!! I rarely ever cook with exact measurements, so if your looking for cups and teaspoons and ounces you will not find them in this recipe. Sorry not sorry lol. If you make this I guarantee you will love it! My husband ate 2 bowls the night I made it. We ate off of it for the following 3 days. My sisters boyfriend said he loved it too. It is filling and just yummyncomfort food but a little healthier. Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 bunch of fennel (4 stalks)
1 spanish onion
1 tbsp of minced garlic 
1 pint of baby bella mushrooms
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 large can of fire roasted crushed tomatoes
2 cans of chick or garbanzo beans
2 tbsp of tomato paste
1 1/2 cartons of low sodium veggie stock
4 cups of water
3 hand fulls of curly kale
1 bag of dry 3 cheese tortellini
fresh thyme
garlic powder
paprika
salt 
pepper
cayenne Pepper

Instructions

Step1: Start out by cutting up the veggies. 

An important tip is to cut the veggies the same size. I kind of diced the onion and cut the mushroom and fennel the same small thin size. The recipe in the magazine actually called for celery but I get so bored and blah with celery. I decided to get a little fancy and do fennel. Fennel is like super food! It has so many health benefits. I found this article on fennel that really breaks down all its nutritional factors. I cut the stalks of the fennel pretty thin. Fennel is very similar to celery in texture but just more fragrant. More pleasantly fragrant. I just hate don't like how celery smells lol. 

Step 2: Heat up your olive oil in a large pot and add in your chopped veggies and garlic.

When you start to sauté your vegetables they will be a bit watery. Cook them on medium/high heat for about 15 min or until all that water evaporates. 
I add the minced garlic toward the end so it does not burn. Also cookware is by Rachel Ray and I love it!

Step 3: Spoon in your tomato paste and stir in with the veggies. Let this warm for about a minute.

Step 4: Add in vegetable stock and water. Reduce heat to medium and let this simmer for about 25 minutes. 

I try to always only cook with organic foods and also low sodium foods. It really makes a difference. 

Step 5: Add in your large can of fire roasted crushed tomatoes and rinsed/drained chickpeas and 4 twigs of fresh thyme. Continue to let all the yummy flavors simmer.

I think the original recipe called for fire roasted diced tomatoes but I didn't want it too be too chunky since I knew I was adding in chickpeas so that is why I did crushed. 

Step 6: Clean and dry your kale. In a separate pan lightly steam your kale. Season with salt and pepper.

So during this step I simply placed the clean kale in a hot pan with about a tablespoon of olive oil. Once in the pan I sprinkled about 1/4 cup of water on top and placed a lid on top.  I let it steam for about 5 minutes.

Kale is so pretty and can you believe it contains like 4.3 g of protein!
Step 7: Add the steamed kale into the simmering soup.

Step 8: Add in the dried 3 cheese tortellini noodles. 

If you are going to be freezing this soup I would not add the noodles. If you do the noodles will absorb the soup liquid before it freezes and they will swell and loose their shape and that just isn't cute. So if you are freezing some just go on and reserve that portion now in your freezer bag. When you unthaw you can just throw in your noodles then. 

I found these noodles in the dried noodle isle at Publix.


Step 8: Add in some salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. Take out your twigs from the thyme. Bowl up your soup and serve with warm bread or crackers!
Enjoy!

And  yes our Christmas is still up. Don't judge lol.




Love Always,
April.












0 comments:

Post a Comment